Lillian Hewitt

Hello my name is Lillian Hewitt and my life was something of a tragedy. I was born in Bloomer, Wisconsin in 1914 to Charles and Evalena Hewitt, who farmed for a living. My mother died when I was young. When I was a child I was running and fell on a sharp stick which went through my eye. I was almost completely blind after that. When I was 16 I became a mother but the father of the child refused to marry me. I took him to court over the matter but I died before a resolution was found. A year before my death my father and I moved to Crandon and lived on a 40 acre farm a quarter a mile south of the highway. I went missing one Saturday in late June of 1914 but no one worried at first because my father assumed I was at a friend’s house. But when I failed to show up several days later the sheriff was notified. The housekeeper, Mrs. Mattson, found my body lying in a clump of bushes 25 feet from the lonely road on the top of Wolf River Hill with a bullet hole in my head from a .38 caliber revolver. My body was decaying after many days in the hot sun; it was eventually picked up by the coroner George Marsh. My father and my housekeeper were held in jail for questioning. The coroner’s jury investigated my cause of death and their verdict was suicide. They thought I shot myself in the head. District Attorney Horne and Sheriff Ed Moore were not satisfied with that conclusion and issued another warrant for Charles Hewitt, Mrs. Mattson, Mr. and Mrs. Art Stewart, who were all living in the house at the time of the murder. The hearing was held before Court Commissioner Germer but the testimony was conflicting so the case was adjourned until more evidence could be found. Also the fact that I was blind and did not know where the gun was kept in the house made some people believe I was murdered. After Arthur Stewart was arrested for perjury during my hearing my death was ruled “death at the hands of an unknown person”. Coroner George Marsh refused to change the former verdict on his records because he believed the jury had no right to change their minds. Sheriff Ed Moore was convinced that I was murdered and was determined to bring my killer to justice. But he never found any new evidence and my death is still a mystery to this day.